The Vitamins and Minerals of the Color Wheel
The nutrients in fruits and vegetables can often be categorized by their colors. Here are the vitamins and minerals you can expect to find in each:
- Red. is usually a sign of vitamin A (beta carotene) and vitamin C.Typically, red produce are also high in manganese and fiber.
- Orange. in fruits and vegetables signifies a similar vitamin and mineral profile. You’ll get vitamins C, A, and B6, potassium, and fiber.
- Yellow. potassium and fiber. You will also find potassium and fiber plus manganese, vitamin A, and magnesium.
- Green. Dark leafy greens are packed with nutrients, such as rich lutein content, which aids eyesight, and folate, which supports cell reproduction. .
- Blue. powerful antioxidants, and fiber. .
- Purple. indicates the presence of anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants that protect blood vessels and preserve healthy skin. You can also find vitamin A and flavonoids in purple vegetables.
- White. shine with vitamins and minerals like vitamins C, K, and folate, and they contain fiber. Some white veggies have a compound called allicin that seems to protect the heart and blood vessels from damage.